NEW: Introducing the Housing Hub & Directory

Frequently Asked Questions

Why Rent to Ukrainian Newcomers?  

You can make a difference in your community by renting your property to a Ukrainian.

Housing is the foundation for stability and newcomers looking to establish themselves are often long-term tenants. Most Ukrainians entering the U.S. have an American tie or sponsor that is able to support them. In a State Department supported program called Uniting for Ukraine (U4U), sponsors welcome and support newly arrived Ukrainians financially and to ensure they have access to safe and affordable housing.  

Because of U4U, Ukrainians entering the U.S. with a sponsor have someone willing and able to support them in their new home. Sponsors are expected to receive, maintain, and support the beneficiary financially, ensuring they have access to safe and affordable housing. Newcomers and sponsors may also benefit from the assistance of one of ten State Department-affiliated Resettlement Agencies, which work with landlords and property managers to assist Ukrainians. Additionally, there are several programs and services available to Ukrainian Newcomers designed to help them succeed in the U.S., including job-search support.  

Generally, Ukrainians are familiar with western-style housing and understand rent procedures like financial and background checks as well as lease-signing, which can help with rental agreement formalities and make good tenants. Renting a home to a Ukrainian is renting to someone with a support system and programs in place designed to help them succeed as tenants. 

How do Ukrainians pay rent and what documentation can be submitted with their rental applications? 

 The Ukrainian population are eager to establish themselves in their new community. Ukrainians coming to the U.S. do not arrive with the documentation the typical American renter has, such as a Social Security card, credit references and U.S. employment history. However, they can provide evidence of legal status and of reliable income when employed.  

It is important to note that Ukrainian newcomers receive a Social Security number (card) soon after arrival along with an official photo I.D. and additional government identification known as an I-94, which is issued by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services.  

Although newcomers do not have credit history in the U.S., most Ukrainians are eligible for several government assistance programs, including rent support. Most Ukrainians have a local sponsor, and often a resettlement agency to support them financially if government ensured support is not enough. Sponsors also help families and individuals as well as landlords with the rental process, providing translation and interpretation when needed, along with other assurances of the newcomers’ support network. 

What Financial Assistance do Ukrainians receive?  

Ukrainians are eligible for Federal, State, and local government benefits depending on their circumstances. They can receive cash assistance through Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). In addition to sponsors, resettlement agency staff can help Ukrainians apply for all assistance programs for which they are eligible. Ukrainians may also receive long term benefits through the Federal government’s Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) for 12 months to five years, including:  

How did Ukrainian individuals and families come to my city?  

There are several pathways to the U.S. for those escaping the war in Ukraine. Typically, those leaving Ukraine come to a city because of their family ties. Although these Ukrainians may enter the country as refugees, asylum seekers, or with specialized visas; a majority have entered with family petitions or through the Uniting for Ukraine (U4U) program. Those entering the U.S. through U4U have an American sponsor, often family members, who can support the Ukrainian Newcomer.  

How does RHS support Ukrainian Newcomers, Landlords, and Property Managers?

Refugee Housing Solutions (RHS) supports the resettlement and integration of Ukrainians through Technical Assistance nationwide, creating innovative and affordable housing solutions with project coordination and technical housing support. RHS creates curriculum and materials for newcomers on housing in the U.S. We are associated with the 10 State Department affiliated Resettlement Agencies, and can connect Ukrainian newcomers with support locally or virtually.

RHS has a myriad of online resources, educational materials, webinars, and trainings targeted towards landlords and property managers. We provide one-on-one Technical Assistance to landlords and property managers interested in renting to newcomers, or who currently rent to newcomer tenants. We have a wide network of stakeholders, such as government branches, landlords, property managers, and resettlement agencies that can answer questions of interested partners.

Learn more about Refugee Housing Solutions, view resources, and request training or technical assistance by visiting the RHS website:

How can I rent to a refugee?  

While rebuilding their lives, a Ukrainian newcomer needs secure, affordable housing. If you are a landlord or property owner with affordable housing and an interest in engaging with newcomers like Ukrainians, Afghans, and others, Refugee Housing Solutions team members want to hear from you. Please complete this form to connect with a local resettlement agency seeking housing options in your area. If you have any further questions about housing Ukrainian populations, check out our website or sign up for a Technical Assistance appointment for one-one-one help. 


The Preferred Communities program is funded by the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement